Friday, September 16, 2016

Food Homework is Fun Homework

I spend most nights perusing through the 1.6 million cook books Chris and I own and Pinterest. My bedside table is usually loaded down with 6 novels I'm in the middle of, 2 or 3 cookbooks and 1 or 2 foodie magazines.  In this house, with a baker and a chef, our lives basically revolve around food.

Recently, like the past week, I have been eating 95% paleo/whole30, healthy, however you want to put it.  Meat, eggs, veggies, small amounts of fruit, that's basically it.  (If you don't count the cookie and ice cream I had last week.)  As far as drinks go, I stick to water and coffee (which is where I am struggling to not add my flavors and milk) I can't help it, I LOVE my caramel vanilla iced americano with 2%, I'm a barista, it's going to happen.  After only one week of eating this way, I feel great.  I'm not lethargic, I'm not overly moody, and I'm enjoying cooking again <3

My favorite new found breakfast is baked eggs with lots of goodies.  Call it a fritatta, a spanish tortilla, baked eggs, whatev! Hello, easy, delicious, and filling!

Spanish Tortilla 
(play around with the ingredients)
Serves 1, 3 days

1 Small Sweet Potato, peeled and thinly sliced in rounds
1/4 Bell Pepper of your choice, thinly sliced in long strips
(I always have green and red on hand)
1/4 Walla Walla Sweet Onion, thinly sliced
1 Jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced or diced
4 oz meat, thinly sliced or diced
(I've used ham, chicken sausage, anything you like)
5-6 eggs, beaten (preferably farm fresh, trust me, there is a difference)
2 tsp EVOO
fresh basil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, italian seasoning





Heat EVOO in skillet over medium heat
Once heated, add sweet potato, saute 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through
Add in all other ingredients minus eggs
Saute 5-7 minutes, until veggies are par-cooked
Take off burner, put all yummy goodies into a heat-safe bowl to cool
Once partially cooled add beaten eggs.
Line a small baking dish with parchment paper, (I used a 6 cup Pyrex)
Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes.
Let cool fully, pop out of pan, divide into 3 equal parts, place in tupperware of some sort
Magic, you have breakfast for 3 days!! :) 


My lunches are always leftovers from the night before.  Recently, I have only been cooking for myself.  My hubby works way too much, my daughter left for college last month, and my son is WAY to busy being a senior in high school to be home for dinner every night. ;) I have found that it works best for me to take any recipe I want to try and cut it in half.  That way I have dinner for that night and lunch for the next day.  It keeps me from getting bored, and eating whatever looks better at work, and then having to throw away perfectly good food.  

Tonight I was feeling the weather and a little nostalgic of my time in Ireland. I decided to make a "traditional fall dish" that I ate once a week during my time across the pond. Who doesn't love pork chops and applesauce? . I seared my thin cut pork chops, took them out and set them aside. Thinly sliced up new potatoes, a gala apple, purple cabbage, the other 1/4 of my walla walla sweet onion, garlic and some cauliflower.  Saute'd it all together with a good amount of salt, red pepper flakes, thyme, and cinnamon.  Added the pork back in, lowered heat to med low, and let it all cook together and the pork to come up to 160 degrees! Oh man, it was delicious, and so easy, I just love one pan meals.



It's amazing to me how a little bit of research, or homework, can change how I am looking at meals.  I have been cooking for so long that I can take bits and pieces from certain recipes and adapt them into a totally different one.  If you aren't to that point, follow a recipe.  It is simple.  Remember to try new things; I am shocked that I like certain foods now that 1 or 2 years ago made me shudder when I saw them in a dish (Main one, mushrooms, love them...now....) Another new flavor to me that I absolutely love, is curry! I don't keep any red curry in our house due to Chris' food allergy, but Yellow Curry is amazing!! Trust me. ;)

I hope my renewed love of cooking can come through your screens and help you to make healthy, easy, yummy food for you and your family.  <3





No comments:

Post a Comment