Friday, January 29, 2016

Hello Portion Control, Nice to Meet You

I've been under the illusion that if I'm making my own food, and it's mainly lean and green, with some "healthy" carbs, that I am doing the right thing.  Hah! Wrong.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Part of it is right, but portion control is SO IMPORTANT and so not something we Americans are good at.  In any part of our lives, we love to over indulge. I love to over indulge.  But, I am learning that indulgence (by definition: to yield to an inclination or desire) is a treat, not a way of life. So, in turn, I am learning how to control portions; the size and amount of food I eat in a day impacts me beyond what I ever thought it could.  

It did take a couple weeks to actually feel full/not starving on the portions my meal plan was allowing.  At first I doubled the veg/lean protein, or added in a whole wheat bread of some sort.  Now, I'm doing much better, eating much less, and eating properly.  (Finger up when I take a sip and all. ;-) )

I have definitely decided that I am a breakfast eater, or just an eater... But without breakfast my day is hard.  According to Chris, I am always hungry.  Which, if I do not eat, I get hangry, very very hangry! It's easy to avoid, if I eat a good breakfast.  When I'm home I like to make healthy veggie scrambles with farm fresh eggs from my awesome cousin! But, when I have to be to work super early, that isn't much of an option... My favorite thing for work days are Overnight Oats.  So easy to prep 3 or 4 days in a row and just grab one in the morning and you are SET!


Overnight Oats, before Almond or Coconut Milk

OVERNIGHT OATS

1/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk 
(I like Vanilla Unsweetened, and you can use Coconut Milk also)
1 scoop Protein Powder 
(My new fav is Fit Miss in Vanilla Chai)
1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
1/2 Tbsp Cacao Nibs
1/2 Tbsp Peanut Butter (or any nut butter)
1/4 cup berries 
(blackberries or strawberries(sliced) are my favorite)
2 tsp honey

Put all ingredients in a mason jar, and let sit overnight.  I usually make up to 3 days in advance.  


Today I also tried a new recipe that is going to stick around for quite a while, I even think Chris will like it! I love a good crockpot recipe, I love getting everything ready, puting my crockpot on low to cook and blend flavors for hours without me having to do much at all.  I also am really excited that I now have lunch and dinner for at least the weekend, if not a while after that!  Makes meal prep a breeze, since I have breakfast for all weekend prepped from last night.  Go me! 


Crockpot Black Bean Chili
(With lots of extra yumminess)
2 Tbsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 White Onion
1 lb ground chicken/turkey or 1 package Tofu
2 tsp Cumin
1 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder (to your liking) 
1 Tbsp Cayenne Powder
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp-1 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
dash/pinch of cinnamon
(Split spices in half)
1/4 cup minced Garlic
1 can Black Beans
1 can Kidney Beans
2 cups sliced Mushrooms (I like Crimini)
1 cup Bell Pepper, diced
1 cup Sweet Potato, cubed
1 cup Butternut Squash, cubed
2 cups Quinoa (I use a quinoa/ancient grain mix)
1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes + 1 can water
1 small can Spicy V8

Heat oil in pan over Medium heat, add onion, cook until soft
Add meat/tofu and 1/2 of spices, cook until browned
Add all ingredients to slow cooker
High for 5-6 hours, depending on you slowcooker 



I think I'm getting the hang of this food photography! 

Enough about food, even though it basically runs my life right now.  I have not been able to workout in a week and it's killing me! I slipped and fell on the ice last weekend and went from feeling 28 and wonderful to feeling 88 and in pain in a matter of seconds! Haven't been able to do much, getting through work decently enough the last couple days and really trying to mend my body.  Went to see my lovely Chiropractor today and he told me that I messed my lower back up real well.  Had one of the highest adjustments I've ever had, including after my car accidents.  EEK! I honestly never in my life thought that I would miss working out, but I do.  I can't wait to get back into it, I'm going to start on Sunday with my Yoga Camp again and see how I do!  

Thanks for following along with me on the this crazy journey! Hope you enjoy these recipes, there will be lots more to come!! Comment with things you would like to read about, or if you have any questions! :) I'm off to ice my lower back.... after I put on a sweatshirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment